Can I be a Host Family?
Host Family Information
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Host Family for Elite Canadian Homestay! Our Host Families live in Vancouver and the surrounding areas including North & West Vancouver and Richmond to Chilliwack. Elite has students of varying ages, but the majority of our students are from 12 to 18. At this time, we are offering two programs, a Group Homestay Program which operates in the months of July & August (students stay for 2 to 4 weeks) and our Academic Year Program throughout the school year. The main focus of a student is to improve their Conversational English and learn about Canadian culture. Having a student in your home will give you an opportunity for your family to learn about other cultures and to welcome a new member into your family.Why should I be a Host Family?
As a Host Family you will benefit greatly from the experience of having an International Student in your home. Listed below are a few of the benefits our Host Families have enjoyed:
- You will make a life-long friend with your International Student, which will help to create understanding and peace in the world.
- Your family life will be enriched by having an International Student in your home. Your family will learn about another culture and country without the expense of visiting the country.
- Your children will benefit from sharing their home with another student. They will learn to live with a "brother" or "sister" and develop a relationship that will endure for a life-time.
- You will benefit by meeting other Host Families in your area and making connections within your community. You become part of the Elite Family.
Host families come from many different ethnic backgrounds, religions, and cultures. Elite Host Families represent the "mosaic culture" of Canadian life, including:
- Families with or without children
- Retired people
- Families with extended members i.e. grandparents in the same home
- Families from different ethnic and religious backgrounds
- Families interested in other cultures
- Families who are compassionate
- Families who are interested in international exchange
- Families who will ensure the safety of their international student
What are the Host Family requirements?
- The parents of the Host Family must be Canadian Citizens.
- English must be the main language spoken clearly in the family. Students must hear only English; this includes the TV, Radio and telephone. Guests coming into the home must agree to speak only English.
- Provide three meals a day on weekdays (sack lunch) and two meals a day on weekends. Evening snack to be available until 9 p.m.
- Have no more than 3 (three) International students in your home at any one time and each student must speak a different native language.
- Provide a safe, clean home with a private bedroom for the student.
- Provide supervision of the home at all times, the host family will not leave the student alone overnight or for extended periods. Other accommodation must be provided or a suitable adult brought into the home if the Host Family must leave the home overnight.
- Provide help to the student learning about public transportation and accompany the student to and from the school or academic center the first time.
- Provide Internet service.
- Provide Elite Canadian Homestay with a Criminal Record check for adults in the home over the age of 18 (for long term students).
- Sign a Host Family Agreement with Elite Canadian Homestay.
- Provide Elite and the International student with one month's notice if they wish to terminate the homestay.
Elite Homestay does not require host families to pay any administration or finders fees. Elite covers the cost of the initial host family visit and all administrative fees. However, the Host Family is responsible for the cost of any and all Criminal Record checks that are required. Elite asks for a copy of the Criminal Record check, the host family may keep the original.
If you are interested in becoming a Host Family for Elite Canadian Homestay, please complete the online application below.