Elite Canadian Homestay will provide you with a Host Family based on the information provided in your Student Application. It is very important for you to provide Elite with information about any special needs; i.e. diet restrictions, allergies or medical needs. This information will help us match you with the right Host Family. An Elite Program/Placement Coordinator will personally interview the prospective Host Family in their own home before placing any student with a Host Family. We want you to be with a family who can relate to you and will spend time with you while you are in Canada. Your stay with a Host Family will depend on the program you have enrolled in and the length of time you are in Canada.
Elite Canadian Homestay Student Guarantees:
- Your Host Family has been interviewed in their home, with all family members present prior to your arrival.
- You will be matched to a Host Family and receive your Host Family information in a timely manner prior to your arrival.
- Your Host Family will be a safe home and the family will speak English clearly.
- Your Host Family will live within 45 minutes of your school or Academic Center.
- You will be provided with transportation to and from the airport, if requested or provided with your program of choice.
- You will receive a student orientation either in the host family home or at the Academic Center on your arrival in Canada.
- You will have regular contact with your Program/Placement Coordinator while you are in Canada. Your Coordinator is available to ensure you have a successful experience in Canada.
- Your Program/Placement Coordinator will help you if you need to change your departure date and ensure your flight info is correct and your host family can accommodate any additional time your need.
If you are not comfortable with your host family, Elite will provide you with another Host Family, if the problem cannot be solved. There will be no additional charge to you if this change is made within 2 weeks of arriving in Canada.
Elite Canadian Homestay Host Family Commitment:
- Your Host Family will provide you with a private bedroom which will include a bed, dresser, lamp and storage space. If you are staying over 4 weeks a desk will also be provided.
- To treat you with respect and ensure the home is safe, clean and comfortable.
- To provide you, the student, with three meals a day on weekdays (sack lunch) and two meals a day on weekends.
- To provide you with access to TV, telephone, internet, laundry and bathroom facilities.
- To help you with local transportation and for group homestay programs to provide you with transportation to and from the Academic Center.
- To orientate you with your new neighborhood and to understand Canadian culture.
- To help you with your language studies (maximum 1/2 hour per weekday).
- Your Host Family will be a Canadian Citizen and will ensure only English is spoken in their home.
- Your Host Family will have no more than 3 international students staying in their home at any time.
- Your Host Family will provide you with 1 months notice if they need to terminate the homestay for personal reasons.
Elite Canadian Homestay Students will:
- Keep their bedroom clean and neat. This includes making your bed every morning and putting away clothing and belongings.
- Abide by Elite and Host Family rules; this includes informing your Host Family if you will not be home for a meal or will be late coming home.
- Use their own cell phone or a phone card for all long-distance calls. Please do not use the Host Family phone directly for long distance calls; it is more expensive than a phone card.
- Pay for your own public transportation.
- Purchase your own personal care items i.e. shampoo, deodorant, soap.
- Offer to pay your own entrance fees if a Host Family takes you on an outing.
- Pay for any damage done to a Host Family home or possession.
- Abide by all Canadian laws; municipal, provincial and federal.
The Canadian Government, Immigration Canada, requires all students under the age of 18 who apply for a study permit, must have a legal custodian who will act as your natural parent if there is an emergency or you require medical attention. The Custodian must provide proof in the form of a notarized declaration. It must be signed by the natural parent of the student and the custodian in Canada. Elite normally arranges for the Host Family to be your custodian, occasionally your Placement Coordinator will be your custodian. Your Custodian also signs for any school permission slips while you are in Canada.
Academic Year students please remember that you must apply for a study visa if you wish to receive final marks from your High School. It is illegal in Canada for a school to provide you with marks if you do not have a Study Visa. A Visitors Visa is not sufficient.
Student Visa for International Students:
All students studying in Canada longer than 6 month must have a Student Visa
If you are studying for less than 6 months, you must apply for either a Student Visa or a Visitor's Visa. If you apply for a Visitor's Visa you will not receive final marks from your Canadian High School.
When applying for a Student Visa, you will require a "Letter of Acceptance" from the High School you will be attending. Elite Canadian Homestay will supply you with this letter when your application is complete and all funds have been received.
Please note: a Canadian High School will not provide a "Letter of Acceptance" unless Elite Canadian Homestay has paid the full tuition fees. Elite can only pay the school if the student has paid Elite.
Canada does not pay hospital or medical services for visitors. Elite recommends you have your own medical travel insurance.